LOST OR FOUND A DOG?
Found A DOG?
If you have found a dog in Galway city or county, we suggest that you do the following:
- Check for an ID Tag and call the owner, but please be careful when approaching as it may be nervous around strange people
- Bring the dog to a vet and have it checked for a microchip
- Post details of the dog on social media, e.g. Galway Mayo Lost Found Animals (Facebook)
- Put the dog’s information on www.lostdogs.ie and www.lostandfoundpets.ie
- Place posters in local shops, vets, community centres, etc.
- Inform the dog warden for your area
- Inform the Gardai
If someone comes forward as the owner, ask for proof of ownership such as a microchip certificate, dog licence or photos. Please note that it is unlawful to hand a dog over to any person or agency who is not the dog’s legal owner, the Gardai or the Dog Warden.
If you do not find the owner you may decide to keep the dog yourself. In this case you must send written notification to the Dog Warden or the local Gardai. If the dog’s owner does not claim the dog within a year you may become the owner of the dog.
If you are not in a position to keep the dog and have tried every avenue to locate the owner, you can call the Dog Warden. The legal requirements regarding all stray dogs is that they must be collected by the Dog Warden and held for five working days to see if they can be reclaimed.
LOST A DOG?
If you have lost a dog in Galway city or county, we suggest that you do the following:
- Check social media such as Galway Mayo Lost Found Animals (Facebook) and lost pet wesbites such as www.lostdogs.ie, www.lostandfoundpets.ie
- Email local rescues with details of your dog
- Ring the Gardai to see if anyone has informed them of a found dog matching the description of yours
- Ring your the Dog Warden for your area (see details below)
Galway County Council
Niall McHugh – 087 2227856 (West & North Co. Galway)
PJ Tierney – 087 6431883 (South & East Co. Galway)
or contact the Environment Section, Galway County Council – 091 509510, [email protected]
Galway City Council
A Dog Warden is on duty at Ballybane Dog Pound, Tuam Road, Galway, Monday to Friday from 9.30 am – 10.30 am and from 4.00 pm – 5.00 pm. Outside of these times, the warden may be on patrol in the city. The Dog Pound can be contacted on (091) 536400.
Mayo County Council
Phone: 094 – 9024444
Email: [email protected]
Open: 9:30 am – 1pm, 2pm – 5pm